Thursday, March 18, 2021

Meet Joe Luther, author and Independent Marketer extraordinaire

 


Joe says, “I have a BS in Biology (with a writing emphasis). I know what you’re thinking. How’d I get into writing/marketing? Long story, but in a nutshell, after college I got a job as project manager for a non-profit. A big part of that job was grant writing.

That experience got me a job for a local start-up in their marketing department crafting business proposals and RFP responses. We were bought out by AIG, the multi-national insurance company, where my marketing chops really got amped. In addition to business proposals, I was now writing ads (both print and online), brochures, web-pages, video scripts, speeches and more. Plus, managing their social media presence.

After seven years in corporate, and a family that needed me at home, I was ready to forge out on my own. And here I am – working for you, I hope!”

A brief interview with Joe:

Hello, Joseph, thank you for sharing about yourself and your business on Wisconsin Author Review. You’ve worked with a large variety of writing aspects, everything from literature and journalism to ad copy to book jackets, from corporate to private. Do you have a favorite type of writing for hire and for yourself?
Thanks, Lisa. I’m really grateful for the opportunity to be able to connect with so many talented writers across Wisconsin. Writing for others and writing on my own personal projects are both challenging, but in very different ways. For me, the hardest part of writing on someone else’s project is the first part: It’s all about really getting inside their head to understand who they are, what they’re trying to say and how they want to say it. Once I have a good grasp of those things, the rest comes naturally. Depending on the project, it’s either a matter of channeling their voice through me or conveying their message in a way that clicks with their audience. I love to do personal profiles on interesting people, and social media is always fun. I guess the hardest part of writing for myself is writing in a way that I’m staying true to my own voice and vision while creating something that will resonate with readers more broadly.  

What changes have you seen in the industry since you began your business?
Advertising and marketing, fundamentally, is pretty simple. It’s about effectively connecting with a particular audience. That part hasn’t changed. Anyone with a product to sell or a message to spread still needs to find their target audience and connect with them in such a way that they want to be a part of it. In some ways, that’s easier today than 10 years ago. Social media, text message marketing, the ease of website development, and so much more in an increasingly digital world, give us all sorts of ways to connect. The challenge, with so many ways to connect, is finding a way to cut through all the chatter and noise to reach the people who want to hear from you. Because they are out there.

What’s your favorite client success story?
That’s a hard one! I’ve worked with lots of different kinds of clients and can recall lots of stories. I guess one that stands out with me at the moment is an author I worked with last year who reached out for help on a pet project she had been struggling with on and off for a number of years. It was a book she wanted to self-publish. She was getting close to calling it done and wanted to have it published as a birthday surprise for her husband. I helped with a final edit of the book, creation of the cover and sleeve, reviews, website development and getting it out on Amazon. It was fun being a part of something that she treasured so much and to be involved in so many aspects of making it happen for her.

You’ve mentioned that you have written children’s books and are in the process of searching for representation. What drew you to writing for children?
I’ll take a line from my pitch: I’ve been called a life-long child-whisperer, weaver of stories to saucer-eyed audiences of kids and children’s entertainer always willing to play the fool for a good laugh. That’s me. I’m the one at the family gathering being chased by all the kids. I think it’s the innocence of children I’m most compelled by. I also have some teaching experience so there’s a lot of material to draw on for me.

How’s your experience searching for representation going? What can you share about your approach to the process and your goals about finding a good fit with an agent or publisher? We look forward to connecting again once you have a contract in hand.
A contract in hand - that would be amazing. I have my first two manuscripts out with about a dozen agents each so I’m still a newbie in terms of the process. One strength I may have among other pre-published authors is that I’m very familiar with the give and take needed for a client relationship to be successful, especially when it comes to writing. You have to have a thick skin when you write for others, as I’ve done for years as a freelancer/contractor. You have to be able to take critical feedback, that’s not always tactful, and be able to be honest with yourself in terms of edits that may or may not make sense. As with any client I would take on, a good fit is key. I’m a firm believer that a poor match with an agent is worse than no agent at all.

Can you give us a little run-down on the typical things you do for clients?
I’ll risk sounding pretentious and say I’ve done at least a little bit of just about everything related to marketing. Writing is probably what I do best, so that includes blogging, content marketing, copywriting, content development for websites and business proposals, quasi-journalism, you name it. Social media is also something I’m very comfortable with. I also build websites and do a little bit of design and video editing. Although on those projects, if it’s very sophisticated, I’ll bring in a partner to help.

How do people reach you?
The best way is through the contact form on my website. Or, by calling (715) 544-8942.

Thank you for joining us, Joe. Stay in touch!
Find more about Joe's projects here.


No comments: